2023 OWAC EIC RULES & CATEGORIES
Cash Prizes to be Awarded
- The purpose of this contest is to reward exceptional “outdoor” journalism (writing, reporting, opinion/editorial, broadcasting, photography, videography/cinematography, and digital communications) produced by OWAC members. Works must have been released during the 2022 calendar year, except for books, which were published within two years between 1-1-2021 and 12-31-2022. Entries should have a clear connection to the outdoors, outdoor recreation, nature, wildlife, public lands, or craft improvement related to one of the disciplines related to our profession. The book category also includes works with a connection to our profession (photography, writing, broadcasting, multimedia, etc.) All works must have been on a remunerated basis.
- Judges have the right to disqualify an entry should they determine it does not sufficiently represent one of the subjects described in Rule #1. Judges may elect not to award in any category, regardless of the number of entries, and may award more than one prize in any category up to three places numbered sequentially (1st Place, 2nd , or 3rd). Ties are disallowed.
- Entries must be received between March 1 and March 31, 2023. Entrants must have paid their 2023 OWAC membership dues at the time of submission. There is no limit to the number of entries that may be submitted per entrant in any given category. An entry in one category cannot be submitted in another category with the exception of a conference-related work, which can also be entered in Category 11. All entries except books are to be submitted as jpgs, pdfs, links (urls), or other digital format. Submit only one copy of the published, posted, or broadcast work. The name of the author must be obscured.
- For books, a revised edition of a previously published book is acceptable, but it must be the first time the book in any edition has been entered in the OWAC Excellence in Craft contest.
- For websites or apps, submit links to the pages to be judged.
- Contest is open to all OWAC members. The fee to submit entries in all categories is $20 for the first entry and $10 for each subsequent entry.
- Submission format – All entries must be submitted via the link
https://zealous.co/owac2/opportunity/2023-OWAC-Excellence-In-Craft-awards/ using the Zealous entry form with the name of the author obscured.
Book entries should be mailed to the address below and contain: 1) Two copies of the physical book or a link to an online entry, 2) book entry form, and 3) check to cover the entry fees. The author’s name needs not to be obscured.
- News Article – A straight-forward account in which the reporter delivers attributed information that is verifiable. All mediums (print, online, or broadcast) accepted.
- Feature Article – Covers a selected issue, person, or event in-depth and usually focuses on the human-interest elements of a situation, event, or adventure. All mediums (print, online, or broadcast).
- Column – Gives the writer’s perspective or opinion, such as an essay or first-person report, often on an issue of the day. All mediums (print, online, or broadcast).
- Book – Non-fiction, fiction and guidebooks related to the outdoors or to our profession. Two copies of each physical book or a link to an online entry must be submitted (to be returned at the next OWAC conference or mailed).
- Feature Photography/Artwork – A feature photo or artwork (line drawing, watercolor, etc.) covers a selected issue, person, or place, and usually focuses on the human-interest elements of a situation.
- Action Photography/Artwork – An action photo or artwork (line drawing, watercolor, etc.) captures a moment in time or a real-life event.
- Audio – A podcast, webcast, or radio program.
- Video – A TV show, YouTube, Vimeo, web, or other video format.
- Internet Site – Must be your own website, blog, app, etc.
- California Conservation Article – Recognizes conservation projects/efforts that benefit California’s fish and wildlife through improving the state’s natural resources, waters, lands, mountains, or oceans on which they may depend. Entry may be submitted in any format (written, image, audio, video, digital, or multimedia).
- OWAC Conference-Related Work – Any work (print, web, photographic, video, audio, digital, or broadcast) based on an OWAC conference.
- Writer and Photographer of the Year – Selected by the OWAC board of directors based upon a weighted average of winners in the other categories.
Questions and Book Submissions:
OWAC Awards Chairman
P.O. Box 50136
Oxnard, CA 93031