Mammoth Lakes 2012 Conference Activities
NOTE: Some details still forthcoming. Activities are tentative and subject to change.
- Fly Fishing Faire (workshops, seminars & films)
Monday, September 17:
- JEEP/CHRYSLER 4X4 GOLDEN TROUT FLY FISHING & PHOTO SAFARI (Full Day)
Join world-renowned landscape photographer Jack Dykinga, Overland Journal editor Chris Collard and Paul McFarland, Stewardship Program Manager for Friends of the Inyo, for a back-road golden trout fishing expedition. Test-drive new Jeeps and Dodge Rams on a world-class rock crawl to a secluded sub-alpine lake. At the lake, professional fly fishing guides will be on hand to help those who want to try their luck at hooking the elusive and coveted golden trout. Limit 10 participants.
- WRITING FROM PLACE workshop with master essayist Mary Sojourner (Half Day - PM) Limit 13 participants.
Lakefront Restaurant, Tamarack Lodge.
- MAKE YOUR OWN SKIS: Off-grid ski-crafting workshop (Half Day - AM)
Two lucky participants will work with master skismiths Michael Lish and Kristin Broumas to craft two pairs of custom skis with completely personal specs and graphics. Completed skis will be delivered at the barbecue on Monday evening. To see what this is all about, watch this short video. Limit 2 participants.
- KAYAK MONO LAKE - On-the-water biology tour of this ancient saline soda lake. (Half Day - AM)
- STAND-UP PADDLING IN THE SIERRA - no experience necessary (Half Day - AM)
- GOLF - Sierra Star
- CHRISTIAN PONDELLA/SAN DISK ACTION SPORTS PHOTO WORKSHOP (Half Day - AM)
Field workshop with world-famous Red Bull/Powder Magazine/San Disk Extreme Team photographer. Learn how to get the action for your next cover shot! Athletes provided. Location TBD.
- DOWNHILL MTB WORKSHOP & BIKE PARK TOUR (Half Day - PM)
- LAKES BASIN NATURALIST HIKE WITH FRIENDS OF THE INYO (Half Day - PM)
Join Drew Foster, Conservation Associate for Friends of the Inyo, for a naturalist tour in the Mammoth Lakes Basin. We'll begin with a tour of the Mammoth Consolidated Mine, learn about how Mammoth was first settled in the late 19th century, and how the town has evolved into the bustling tourist destination it is today. Then we'll take a hike up to picturesque Heart Lake and learn about the plants and animals, geologic history, and broader story of the Mammoth Lakes Basin. We'll have spectacular vistas, so make sure to bring a camera, some sturdy hiking shoes, and plenty of water for a moderate hike of 1.5 miles at the most. Meet at the Heart Lake trailhead in the Coldwater day use parking lot on the Mammoth Lakes Basin (the trolley does not go there).
- HORSEBACK RIDE TO RAINBOW FALLS (Half Day - AM)
Saddle up at Red’s Meadow Pack Station and head out on a two-hour horseback ride to Rainbow Falls. From a platform above the falls, you’ll see the San Joaquin River plunge more than 100 feet. When the sun hits the mist it creates a spectacular waterfall. Return to Red’s Meadow and hop on the shuttle to explore the Reds Valley on your own. Highlights include Devils Postpile National Monument, Sotcher Lake Nature trail and Starkweather Lake. Limit 12 participants.
- HORSEBACK RIDE IN THE ANSEL ADAMS WILDERNESS (Full Day)
Experience the scenic Ansel Adams Wilderness on horseback. You’ll leave the Agnew Meadows Pack Station (in the Reds Meadow Valley) for a full day ride along the High Trail. You’ll see spectacular views of Shadow Lake, the San Joaquin River, and the Minarets before reaching your final destination at Clark Lakes. Limit 12 participants.
- BEGINNER FLY FISHING (Half Day - AM)
First time fly fishing? No problem. Expert instructors from the Troutfitter guide service will teach you the basics. Learn how to rig a fly rod, tie on a line and cast. Then you’ll head to one of the area’s world-class streams and (hopefully) hook a trout. No more than 3 people per guide. Gear provided as necessary.
- GUIDED FLY FISHING (Half Day - AM)
Cast a line and perfect your technique with a Troutfitter fly fishing guide on one of the Mammoths famed trout waters. Favorite spots include the Owens River and Hot Creek. Your guide will take you to one or more streams depending on where the fish or biting best. This trip is for intermediate and experienced anglers. No more than 3 people per guide. Gear provided as necessary.
- GUIDED SPIN FISHING IN THE LAKES BASIN (Half Day - AM)
The Mammoth Lakes Basin is home to rainbow, brown and brooke trout and some of the most scenic lakes this side of the Sierra. Head out on a fishing boat at Lake George with famed local trout guide Brookie Brad. No more than 3 people per guide. Gear provided as necessary.
- VOLCANIC AND GEOTHERMAL CALDERA TOUR (Half Day - PM)
Explore the back roads, hot springs, craters and other fascinating points of interest across North America's second-largest caldera (after Yellowstone). Includes a rare special-access tour of Ormat's Casa Diablo Geothermal facility, which now produces clean power for more than 40,000 homes.
- HELICOPTER TOUR with Skytime Helicopters
Tuesday, September 18:
- * JEEP/CHRYSLER 4X4 PHOTO SAFARI TO MONO LAKE AND BODIE (Full Day) Limit 10 participants. This is a very unique opportunity, with special permission granted by California State Parks for participants to stay after closing to shoot magic hour in Bodie.
- BISHOP/INYO COUNTY HOSTED ACTIVITIES (to include ATV riding, kayaking on the Lower Owens River, horseback riding, guided fishing, guided hiking near South Lake, motor touring to historical sites). Dinner and lodging provided to select participants.
- Mono County/Yosemite post-conference activities