1. Newspaper feature
A feature is a piece of writing that covers a selected issue, person or event in-depth and usually focuses on the human-interest elements of a situation, event or adventure.
1. London’s Calling: City’s Game is to Create an Olympus, Peter Schroeder and Risa Wyatt
2. Outdoor Outreach Produces a Superstar, Ed Zieralski
3. Tie, Rhode Still Taking Her Best Shot, Keith Lair
3. Tie, Seekin’ Shelter From the Storm, Lara Kirkner
3. Tie, Aboard the Grace Ann, John Burk
2. Newspaper column
A column is a piece of writing that gives the writer’s perspective or opinion, such as an essay or first-person report, often on an issue of the day.
1. Erik Sinking: Two survivors tell their story, Pat McDonell
2. Mentoring a Junior Turkey Hunter, Ed Zieralski
Honorable mention: Occupy Wall Street: River Edition, Jeff Lund
Honorable mention: Baja’s Feliz Navidad Spirit Sparkles, Gary Graham
Honorable mention: No Fishing Allowed?, John Burk
3. Magazine feature
A feature is a piece of writing that covers a selected issue, person or event in-depth and usually focuses on the human-interest elements of a situation, event or adventure
1. Nordic Skiing in Yellowstone, Peter Schroeder
2. When the Hunter Becomes Hunted, Allen Bushnell
Honorable mention: Aquatic Meandering in Mendocino, Meade Fischer
Honorable mention: Fish Food, Mike McKenna
Honorable mention: In Deep, Jack Spencer, Jr.
Honorable mention: Long Range San Diego, Gary Graham
4. Magazine column
A column is a piece of writing that gives the perspective or opinion, such as an essay or first-person report, usually on an issue of the day.
1. On The Water: Saving Silver Creek, Mike McKenna
2. Santa Cruz Islands, 20 Some Miles Across the Sea, Mike Moropoulos
3. What’s Your Winter Mo: Hide, Survive or Thrive, Peter Schroeder
5. News report in any medium
A news report is a straight account, without spin and free of all faction, where the reporter delivers information with attribution that is verifiable.
1. Bear shot in June Lake, Lara Kirkner
2. Anti-hunting Humane Society’s War on Poaching, Ed Zieralski
6. Series of articles
A series of articles is a formal connection of stories, numbered Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, etc., with thematic unity from start to fish and published consecutively.
1. Fast Forward Finish, Hike-In Hunts for Predators, Jack Spencer, Jr.
2. Gear Test: Day 1 to Day 5, Monica Prelle
A newsletter is a printed report, often in booklet form, that provides news or information of interest to a specific group.
1. Tie, Wilderness Unlimited Fall 2011, Rick Copeland
1. Tie, California Deer, Jerry Springer
2. Chubasco, Fred Jones
Honorable mention: Santa Barbara Flyfishers, John Burk
Honorable mention: Eights and Elevens, The Access Issue, Monica Prelle
8. Book (other than travel or guidebook)
This award is specifically designed for outdoor books that are not guidebooks or travel books, such as memoirs, fiction and photography books.
1. Palm Springs Legends, Creation of a Desert Oasis, Greg Niemann
9. Guidebook or travel book
A guidebook or travel book provides details of a geographic area or a skill, often both, and is published with the intent to be the ultimate information source for that geographic area or skill.
1. Death Valley, Photographer’s Guide, Dan Suzio
2. Day Hikes around Ventura County, Robert Stone
10. Feature photo
A feature photo covers a selected issue, person or place, and usually focuses on the human-interest elements of a situation, event or place.
1. Hot Creek and High Sierra, Monica Prelle
2. Ski–Smithing Revolution, Osceola Refetoff
3. Rio San Ignacio, Gloria Jones
11. Action photo
An action photo captures a moment in time, a real-life event that cannot be duplicated.
1. Petting a Gray Whale, Gloria Jones
2. The line that binds, Monica Prelle
3. Hurtling Toward Range of Light, Osceola Refetoff
12. Series of photos
A series of articles is a formal connection of photographs with thematic unity from start to finish and published as a single work. The maximum number of photos for this contest is five.
1. Postcards from California, Monica Prelle
13. Radio show
A radio show is either a one-hour show or a collection of shorter features.
1. Birth of the Titanic, Thomas Wilmer
2. Outdoors with Craig Hanson
3. FishTalk Radio with John Henigin
Fiction is a literary work based on imagination and not necessarily on fact. Any form is acceptable: feature, column, radio broadcast, TV/Video or book.
1. Western Outdoor News [just kidding; no award].
15. TV show or video
A TV show or video is a visual broadcast event that is played on television or DVD.
1. Cowboy Word Wranglin’ and Wrymin’, Kat Mattoon
2. Smokin’ & Cookin’ Recipes, Andy Lightbody
A website is a set of interconnected WebPages, always opening with a homepage, accessible on the Internet.
1. Kayak Angler Magazine, Paul Lebowitz
2. About.Com Camping, Monica Prelle
3. NorCalFishingNews.com, Tim Goode
17. Web-only article
A web-only article is a feature, column or news report published solely on a website.
1. Outfishing My Father-in-law, Mike McKenna
2. Hiker Sets Speed Record on Pacific Crest Trail, Ed Zieralski
Honorable mention: Burgers and Beer (and backcountry skiing), Monica Prelle
Honorable mention: Baja Aha Moments, Gary Graham
Honorable mention: Rafting the Grand Canyon Greg Niemann
18. John Reginato Conservation Award
The John Reginato Conservation Award is named after the co-founder of OWAC and honors work that exemplifies John Reginato’s life-long passion to restore and conserve fish or wildlife resources damaged from neglect.
1. Written In Water, Mike McKenna
2. Not So Gently Down the Stream, Lara Kirkner
19. Phil Ford Humor Award
The Phil Ford Humor Award is named after an OWAC charter member and honors work that exemplifies Phil Ford’s ability to capture the outdoor world with a wink and a grin that so often accompanied his telling of an experience in the field.
1. Everything But What I Need, Jeff Lund
20. Best Freelance work
Freelance work is any work not completed by a staffer or one whose name does not appear on the masthead of a publication.
1. Retreat and Heal: Casting for Recovery at Clearwater Lodge, Barbara Steinberg
2. London’s Calling: City’s Game Is To Create an Olympus, Peter Schroder and Risa Wyatt
Honorable mention: Nevada Desert Slam, Don Vachini
Honorable mention: In Deep, Jack Spencer, Jr.
Honorable mention: The Quest for Granders, Gary Graham
21. Best Conference-related work
Conference-related work is any work based on work from an OWAC conference.
1. Preview: Mount Konocti, Meade Fischer
2. Redding: Series radio interviews, Thomas Wilmer
3. Kayak fishing Clear Lake, Paul Lebowitz
Winner, OWAC Outdoor Writer of the Year